Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Career Planning? Maybe?

You should do what makes you happy right? People always say that when they're looking for a job, do what you love and it won't be a job. One of the easiest ways to be less grumpy in life.

It's unfortunate if your passions are not the passions of the future, or the things that will take technology forward, or pay well. Those careers are engineering...and basically, yeah. Maybe even business. Engineering covers a lot. If your passion is music though...well that doesn't serve so well financially if you majored in it, and job opportunities would be less. Same as journalism. There's a whole major for that but absolutely no money in it....kind of like the arts. Unfortunately :(

I've always considered myself lucky because my interests have been engineering and that really helps; if I were interested in a math major (which analyzing it is really useless unless you want to be a teacher) I wouldn't make myself go into engineering or business. And you should stick to your interests even if they might not serve you as well financially as well as other careers.

Many of my friends want to major in music or pursue it as a career, and many of them want to but do not think they are good enough to sustain a career on it. They know it doesn't pay well or serve well but music is their passion....good for them <3. Some of them have also said things very closely along the lines of "Well I want to pursue this *refers to instrument* as a career, but I know it's unlikely and it can't really support that well so maybe as a side job..." - I actually got my friend who wanted to pursue it full time (he's good enough) to think like that.

As I have said before, I have always prided myself on being sure of 1) Exactly who I am in every aspect 2) Very definitive on decision making

However, I may have mentioned that I am now in a point in my life where I feel like it would be best to soften the definitions and to "redo" myself and improve - in the same way you would improve your house. Not that I do not like who I am now, I believe it is very sound and wonderful but our goal should be to always improve so that is what I must do. And it isn't very nice during the remodeling process right, it's just a big troublesome mess but once it's over it's great! I was afraid that I would back out because of the troublesomeness and bit of insecurity that comes with change but I've decided I will do this.

I just  hope I don't screw anything up with this plan.

Not to mention I've also been uncertain whether I want to pursue Civil Engineering & Architecture as a double major and minor in either Psychology or Music. Maybe I do want to pursue a music major. Or Aeronomical engineering.


I wrote this like a week ago. It never published :(

No comments:

Post a Comment