Sunday, August 5, 2012

Open - Reflective on Religion(?) and Such

It's always a good thing to have an open mind, right? I would always stay open......open-minded people I've known are amazing, and different. There are people always searching for knowledge. Isn't that great? To always be trying to learn more. 

I was wondering today......in the book of Genesis in the Bible, why didn't God want Adam or Eve to eat from the Tree of Knowledge of good and evil? It kinda reminded me of how some would describe religion as blind. To be devout in your faith, don't you have to be blind to some things in this world? Like, you wouldn't know what drugs feels like from the perspective of someone who uses it if you were brought up in a devoutly-religious home perhaps. You can't go out and try certain things, sexual games or flirting perhaps. Which makes you ignorant to a whole side of a social life. Ignorance is bliss....perhaps that's why such people are seen as such "strong" members of the church.

Would a Catholic Priest know what it's like to be a Lutheran before he chose Catholicism? It isn't fair to be brought up in just one faith, because then by instinct you're always thinking it's the right one....but if you were brought up in another you'd feel obligations to those beliefs. If you are brought up in one, unfortunately all you can do is educate yourself in other religions and belief systems, but to really know, you have to give yourself up to it, don't you? Anybody can know what being a Christian means, but have you experienced the power of the Holy Spirit yourself? Talked to God in the midst of a crisis? And always in the back of your mind is that guilty feeling when you've strayed away from your "home upbringing" religion (or it could be atheism or anything else), but is that just because it's normal? The usual? 

I have to say sometimes the biggest turnoff from churches are it's members. The people who claim to be of a certain faith but exemplify the opposite. The best example I can give would be myself. I grew up in a "Christian" home, well my mom was the dominant one in the marriage and she was Christian where my dad was just open. I tried to be "Christian" for the longest time but I just didn't understand it. All the same I didn't really love my mom because of her personality, and my dad was so nice.  When I was 12 I was just weird and awkward in the head so I finally really became a Christian...in a way that was my worst year in school and the best in my relationship with God. As I got further into the church I discovered more fake people....which is fine, the church is like a refuge and probably has the most impostors ever, but when I was 13 and started looking at other ways people lived and my friends and teachers many of them who were atheists or undefined were better people than those who were "religious" (after a while I started on the idea that people are born certain ways). Then later being 13 my school life got better and I broke away....adopting the new idea of wanting to explore everything before deciding on a path. My mom didn't approve, but still. But also my mom can't stand any talk of contradicting Christianity or exploring anything else, say, Buddhism. Aren't you supposed to be able to argue your faith? Be open to those who are "lost"?

^ that was probably a really bad explanation but I tried. Still yet, doesn't religion make you irrational? Starting wars...murders....I'm still young and don't know a lot but I try to be as open as I can....

 

Comment your thoughts, please :)

No comments:

Post a Comment